Tyrone Hayes is a researcher at the University of California-Berkeley who claims his research shows that the herbicide atrazine harms frogs.
- See Atrazine for further reading about the relevant science.
- Hayes has a history of:
- Sub-standard procedures. Not following Good Laboratory Practices;
- Secret methods. Not sharing his methods with other scientists; and
- Secret data. Refusing to provide his original data to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
As an anti-atrazine activist, Hayes:
- Recruits members to his anti-antrazine AtrazineLovers' Network;
- Encourages people to complain about atrazine to the EPA, Congress and Syngenta;
- Has received funding from anti-pesticide activist groups like the World Wildlife Fund and the W. Alton Jones Foundation;
- Is promoted by the anti-pesticide Natural Resources Defense Council;
- Has received awards from anti-pesticide groups like Beyond Pesticides and the Pesticide Action Network (UK); and
- Works with Environmental Media Services.
What you can do
- August 17, 2010. E-mail the University of California Board of Regents about Tyrone Hayes. Ask the Board whether it really wants to be associated with and perceived as sanctioning Hayes' dubious research, personal political agenda and unprofessionalism.
- "I'm not offended by the term 'activist.'" Greenwire, August 26, 2010.
- "I am biased because I've seen the data... I'm biased in that I don't want [atrazine] in my water." Greenwire, August 26, 2010.
- E-mails on health effects of herbicide draw on rapper's lexicon and spark ethics complaint, Scientific American, August 18, 2010.
- 'I Told Ya, You Can't Stop the Rage,' UC Endocrinologist Hayes Writes to Syngenta, Science, August 20, 2010.
- E-mails spark ethics row, Nature, August 18, 2010.
Scares and Scams
- Tyrone Hayes, AgSense.org.
- [Ethics complaint filed against Hayes by Syngenta], Syngenta, July 19, 2010.
- [Hayes' taunting e-mail raps], Syngenta.
- Avery A, Pesticide Activism: Fifty Years of Panic and Propaganda, Center for Global Food Issues, October 2010.
- Truitt G, The Unfriendly Side of Eco-Friendly , Hoosier Ag Today, October 10, 2010.
- Avery A, Tyrone Hayes—A Frog in His Throat, Center for Global Food Issue, September 16, 2010.
- Schulte S, Why Profane Emails from Atrazine Scientist Tyrone Hayes Are Important, Kansas Grains Blog, August 27, 2010.
- Frogs, Atrazine and the Nutty Professor, Atrazine News, August 13, 2010.
- Kaleita A, Environmentalist turns to e-bullying, Washington Times, August 11, 2010.
- Avery A, Atrazine: The Strange Case of Dr. Tyrone Hayes, AgSense.org, July 29, 2010.
- Avery A, EPA Exposes Tyrone Hayes — Again, Center for Global Food Issues, June 18, 2010.
- [Hayes refuses to make data available to EPA], Letter to Syngenta from EPA, May 17, 2010.
- Milloy S, Poisoned Profits: Recycled Junk Science, FoxNews.com, August 7, 2008.
- Dini J, Fearing Frog Deformities: Media and Environmentalists Croaking in the Wind, Plating & Surface Finishing, December 2007.
- [EPA says Hayes data inadequate], EPA testimony before Minnesota House of Representatives, Februaqry 16, 2005.
- Milloy S, Freaky Frogs Not Linked With Herbicide, Says EPA, FoxNews.com, June 12, 2003.
- Milloy S, Freaky Frog Fraud, FoxNews.com, November 8, 2002.
- Avery A, Frog Sex-Change Claims Flawed, Center for Global Food Issues, October 30, 2002.
- Milloy S, Frog Study Leaps to Conclusions, FoxNews.com, April 19, 2002.